11.7.10

I made hummus today.

       Note: the following post is coming from someone who is slightly obsessed with hummus, so I talk about it a lot (like, a lot a lot). As in, a disproportionately large amount in comparison to the actual importance of the topic of discussion. But understand, that is because hummus is the best fucking food ever. Idiot. But...if you don't care to read about hummus, this is just your official warning that is what I intend to talk about. For this entire post. 

      Hummus making is a project I've wanted to do for a while but kept getting stumped by this one ingredient it required: Tahini. Tahini is basically peanut butter made from sesame seeds instead of peanuts. (although upon sampling I found the two taste so similarly they could basically be interchangeable.) But anyway, Tahini is a staple of hummus dip, and I had literally no idea where to buy it. But because I am incredibly thrifty (and good at googling things), today I finally went out and bought some. And so commenced the hummus making.


        Now, my holy grail of hummus is the kind they sell at Trader Joes. I love hummus in general, don't get me wrong, but the Trader Joes one is basically how hummus would taste if God and every top chef on the planet joined forces to try and make the perfect bowl of it. So with that as my starting point, I researched recipes. Here's the one I actually used:
  • 1 16 oz can of chickpeas
  • liquid from can of chickpeas (added as needed)
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons tahini
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • (Garnished with olive oil and paprika)
Instructions: Basically, you put everything but the chickpeas into a food processer, puree those, and then slowly add in the chickpeas and blend them till they're the texture you want. It's stupidly easy...but completely delicious.

Now, I'm gonna be straight with you here: it wasn't as good as the Trader Joes hummus. It just wasn't. Maybe it was tasting each ingredient, freshly knowing what it was that threw me off, but first it tasted too lemon-y, then too tahini-y, and then not salty enough. And I would change one thing, but still find myself dissatisfied with some other aspect of it. Granted, I am a picky hummus eater. As far as hummus at large is concerned, this recipie was pretty damn good. But next time I will a little less lemon and Tahini, a tiny bit less garlic, a lot more salt and hope for the best.

But yes, I finally made hummus, and it was awesome.


1 comment:

WRITE WORDS.